Most of us will understand what it means to have a healthy body, but what does it really mean to have a healthy mind? At La Crisalida we believe a healthy mind has a deep connection with your emotional experience of life. Extreme positive or negative emotions can knock us off balance and can prevent us from moving forward with our lives.
When we have a healthy mind, we can deal with emotions naturally as they arise, rather than being controlled by them and can therefore maintain balance more easily. In this article we focus on the five core emotions of anger, sadness, fear, hurt and guilt and how you could bring these into balance. We outline a simple exercise you can carry out at home if you suffer from being stuck in any of these emotional states.
For a detailed exploration of “how to develop a healthy mindset” you can visit our article which covers what it means to have a healthy mind and the key practices that we promote at La Crisalida for a healthy and balanced mind.
Five core negative emotions
Negative emotions, like anger, sadness, fear, hurt and guilt, arise when we feel a sense of loss or something is missing. However, when we feel these negative emotions, we do not really lose anything, we just lose our ability to access key inner “resources” that can help us to deal with these emotions.
La Crisalida research with hundreds of guests suggests the following items are the “resources” we most commonly feel that are lost for each of the five core emotions:
Anger: love, security and self-acceptance
Sadness: peace of mind, calmness and love
Fear: courage, love and security
Hurt: love, strength and self-worth
Guilt: love, self-worth and calmness
Exercise: give yourself the resource gift
If you have identified that any of the core emotions are particularly strong for you, we outline below an easy exercise you can do to re-integrate the resources and release the emotional charge associated with the above emotions. This exercise is a Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) technique which helps unblock us from being stuck in emotional states.
First read and make sure you can understand and remember the instructions below. It might take around 15 minutes to complete, but it can take longer. Find somewhere quiet where you won’t be interrupted and can close your eyes and relax.
- Light up the emotion of your choice in your body and go back to the first time you remember feeling the emotion. Allow your unconscious mind to take you back to the first time the emotion ever came up as an issue for you (often this will be in your childhood). Be open and explore without judgement. Trust.
- Dissociate from the memory in your mind’s eye by “rising up” high out of the time or event above an imaginary past/future time line which you will imagine way down below.
- Construct an image in your mind’s eye of something that contains the three resources associated as lost or missing (see above). It doesn’t matter what this image is, so if you are not sure, just make it up!
- Go down and offer the image (that contains the resources) to the younger you at the time or event you have identified.
- Allow the younger you to accept the resource gift and merge with it (visualise the merger of the image gift with the younger you).
- Rise up once again in your mind’s eye and move further back so that you are looking down on the event so that it is down and in front of you.
- Ask yourself from this position “Where did the emotion go?” then “Did it disappear?”. An embedded command is within this statement
Very best of luck with giving yourself the gift of any missing resources. If you would like to explore further how to release emotions and limiting beliefs using this and other powerful techniques, we suggest finding an NLP practitioner in your area. Alternatively, you can visit La Crisalida retreats (please check there will be an NLP trained coach available before booking).
Explore more in a life makeover retreat
If you would like to find an environment to help you transform your emotional life, La Crisalida Retreats runs all year round and has a programme designed to help you reconnect to what’s truly important to you. Read more about the programme of retreats that we offer here and come to Spain on a Life Makeover retreat.