Recipe: Veggie bean burgers
This veggie bean burger recipe is super quick and easy. It makes about 18 small burgers (approx. 50 calories per burger).
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
300g carrots and courgettes
450g cooked white beans
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tbsp soy (or tamari) sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice or water
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
Some oats to bind
30g Walnuts and
1. Cook the onion, and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes, in a little water – keep an eye on your pan and add more water to prevent sticking or burning. Add the vegetables and cook for a further 5-10 minutes, until just soft.
2. Transfer to a food processor and pulse with beans, mustard, soy sauce, lemon juice (or water) and herbs, until combined but still chunky. Add in the walnuts and parsley, then add the oats gradually until combined and they look like they will hold together.
3. Form into golf ball size balls and flatten into patties.
4. Cook under a medium-high grill, carefully turning until browned and heated through.
You can freeze the burgers and defrost in the fridge for a tasty and filling evening meal. Swap the veggies for any that you prefer or have in the fridge. You can also change the herbs for your favourites or add a little heat with some spice sauce or cayenne!
Serve with a large fresh salad or selection of steamed veggies and herby millet (or rice).
About the author
- Lisa is one of the founders of La Crisalida Retreats. She is an Epidemiologist, therapeutic hatha and yin yoga teacher and also teaches mindfulness meditation. Lisa has studied NLP and hypnosis, as well as nutrition (she designs the menus).