This recipe is super easy to make. These balls give you a great energy boost during the day. So, if you are heading out to the gym, or coming back from you walk, eating one or two will be a wonderful treat and pick me up! You will need a good food processor (one that is capable of chopping nuts) to make the recipe, no preparation is required. The addition of flax seed and chia seeds gives this recipe an added omega-3 boost.
Recipe: Raw energy balls
The recipe makes 15 to 20 balls, depending on the size of the balls.
3/4 of a cup of almonds
3/4 of a cup of walnuts or any other nut
2 tablespoons of ground flax seed (make sure the flax seed have been ground first as this makes them easier to digest)
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
1 cup of dates (remove the stones first)
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 tablespoon of raw cacao powder
1. Put the almonds, walnuts, ground flax seed and chia seeds into the food processor and pulse for one minute or until a flour forms. The nuts need to have broken down a little.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and continue to blend until a dough appears.
3. Roll the mixture into balls.
4. Eat or store in the fridge!
You can also roll the ball in some chopped coconut or cocao, which makes them look a little like truffles. They could make a healthy alternative to chocolate eggs for Easter!
About the author
- Lisa is one of the founders of La Crisalida Retreats. She is an Epidemiologist, therapeutic hatha and yin yoga teacher and also teaches mindfulness meditation. Lisa has studied NLP and hypnosis, as well as nutrition (she designs the menus).