At La Crisalida Retreats we take a holistic approach to living a good life. And when the stresses of work or family life are at their peak it can be tough to enjoy life to the fullest. Most of us would probably agree that psychological stress at work or with family can knock you off balance just as quickly as physical stress caused by too little sleep or poor nutrition.
In the same way that juicing or eating plant based foods can easily de-stress the body, meditation can be one of the best ways to de-stress the mind. In any case, it turns out that with a little practice, de-stressing the mind and de-stressing the body go hand in hand. And meditation helps us to get in touch with our very being which can be the biggest de-stress of all. OSHO (a contemporary mystic) says this about meditation:
When mind knows, we call it knowledge.
When heart knows, we call it love.
And when being knows, we call it meditation
So meditation helps you to move into, and become harmonious with the very core of your existence: your being, your very presence. If your goal is rejuvenation, pick a meditation that fits with the following three key elements.
1) Relaxation. Meditation itself is never a stress or a strain – it has acceptance at its core. Accept whatever is and relax into it.
2) Observation. If you can separate the observed from the observer and be the observer (you) – this is meditation.
3) Non-judgement. Letting go of any temptation to label things as good or bad, right or wrong, or compare with anything else.
You will know once you are in deep meditation when all three of these are in harmony together.
The closer a meditation technique is to these three elements, the more rejuvenated you will feel during and after the practice. Here are some tips to get the most out of your meditation practice so you can feel totally relaxed and rejuvenated.
• When you start your meditation it is best to relax the body, become aware of any tension and go deeply into it, relax, observe and be non-judgemental. Once the body is relaxed, then the mind will follow which is a normal prerequisite for deep meditation. Some of the best techniques for relaxing the body and mind are watching the breath or doing yoga.
• Become a student of meditation. Work out what forms of meditation help you move deeply into your being. Meditation techniques which focus on concentration can only take you so far on the meditative journey (narrowing your “at-tension” focus tends to increase your tension).
• Don’t be too concerned about formalising your practice. Whenever you have a few moments during the day you can relax and slip quietly into meditation. Rigidity is of the mind, and meditation is beyond the mind. Meditation can be done anywhere – it is your mind that might tell you otherwise.
• Remember that meditation is really nothing but finding out more about yourself – so be curious and play with it. This is the attitude which will unlock the door of peace within.
About the author
- John is one of the founders of La Crisalida Retreats. He is a life and success coach, Transformational Coach and a master trainer in NLP. He leads our life makeover programme as well as overseeing the retreats.